Urge Congress to Support the Healthy Meals, Healthy Kids Act
The House Education and Labor Committee recently passed the Healthy Meals, Healthy Kids Act a comprehensive Child Nutrition Reauthorization package that will help children obtain the nutrition they need to thrive.
The bill will move into the House floor for consideration in September.
Urge your Members of Congress to voice their support for the Healthy Meals, Healthy Kids Act
The bill will
- Provide USDA the ability to respond to emergencies with waivers and flexibilities.
- Increase lunch reimbursement rates by 10 cents and 6 cents for breakfast
- Expand access to school meals by expanding the Community Eligibility Provision
- Address food insecurity during the summer by authorizing the Summer EBT Program at $75 per month per child for eligible households
- Providing grants to purchase kitchen equipment, supporting farm-to-school programs, and incentivizing scratch cooking.
- Provide reimbursement for an additional meal or snack per child, through the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP),
- Plus other essential nutrition provisions for schools.
- In addition, the bill will make critical improvements to the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) such as expanding WIC eligibility to age six, improving access to telehealth to reduce the physical presence requirement, and expanding the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program to ensure more mothers have access to breastfeeding support.